Saturday, June 18, 2011

Συμβαλλόμενο μέρος όπως είναι η δική σας γενέθλια: Party Like It's Your Birthday

This morning, Ms. Hartman left at 2 am to be with her grandmother. Please keep her in your prayers. As we woke up after a late(r) sleep, I groggily stumbled down a flight of stairs for the usual bowl of yogurt and honey, bag and camera in tow, ready to conquer the world… or at least a day of walking in Athens. We first trekked to the Numismatic Museum, which is world-famous for its archeological finds and displays. Though my favorite piece of art was the wooden bench we were allowed to rest on, the museum offered up many a statue as well as a “Myth and Coinage” exhibit, which I took a particular interest to, considering I felt they would all look spectacular as pendants on a chain around my neck (similar to the time when I commented to my friend Dani that a certain Monet in a museum in Houston would look great over my headboard… what can I say? I have good taste!). They obviously weren’t up for grabs, but it’s the thought that counts!


I especially loved learning about Nike on a deeper level than the simple sportswear swoosh. Though the English translation was a little rough on its sentence structure, here’s what her plaque read:

The deity that symbolizes the desired end in a war, a battle or even an athletic event, Nike symbolizes strength and speed, hence people thought of her as having wings and descending into the battlefield or a stadium to crown the victors.

After departing from the museum, we stopped for a quick gyro on the way to the Benaki Museum. It was a happenin’ lunch spot.

We only stayed at the Benaki for a brief period of time, but a few of us did enjoy the jewelry they collected there. Again, I found myself wanting some of the art.

Straight from the museum, we headed to the Parliament building to watch the changing of the guards. Bold fashion statements and interpretive dancing with guns… who wouldn’t want their job?!

Next, we stopped for ice cream for two reasons. 1) Routine… we obviously needed to fill our daily quota… and 2) today is Caroline’s 16th birthday! Hooray! The fro yo guy was apparently equally as excited:

With cones in hand and smiles on our faces, we headed back to the hotel for two hours of freshening up, blogging, resting, etc. before shopping and dinner. Dinner was especially memorable. Not only did I try Mousakka for the first time (DELISH.), but the patio-style restaurant was beautiful and even surprised Caroline with a “happy birthday” song and dessert. Then, after eating, we divided into two groups and went on a “scavenger hunt” of sorts to obtain videos of random strangers saying “Happy Birthday, Caroline! (in the language of their choice) When I was 16, the craziest thing I did was ______________.” As you can see, Maddie, Stephanie, Holly, Dena, Callie and I had great success:

I hope you enjoyed the videos and happy birthday, Caro! Yasas y’all!

No comments: